**Click on the pictures to see enlarged images**

Friday, June 27, 2008

Kalaya update...

So, I took her in first thing that next morning (Monday). Because it was last minute and I was hoping it wouldn't take too long, I had the boys with me as well. *BIG MISTAKE* In addition to the 9 x-rays they took of her elbow friday night they took a total of 21 more. It was a nightmare. Kalaya, not in any noticable pain, began screaming the moment we entered the room for the x-rays. She obviously recognized it and was dreading what was coming, as was I. They re-did the elbow, then they did the shoulder, the collar bone, and her wrist. NOTHING! They couldn't find anything wrong that would cause her to not use her arm. Soon, two other doctors were invited to exam her and share their opinions. They both agreed that even though it can't be seen, their gut was telling them there was a hairline fracture somewhere. They decided it was beyond what they could do and made the earliest appointment for us with Orthopedics at the hospital, for 8:00 the next morning. So, we left, after possibly spending the worst 4 hours of my life trying to calm down Kalaya and chase after the boys who basically went crazy during that time. They had going back and forth from the exam room to radiology in between the x-rays. The boys thought the whole thing was crazy, and I agree, and well, I think all the other patients and families in the waiting room with us, thought I was crazy. Anyway, I was able to get a sitter for the boys for our next appointment that next morning(tuesday). Thanks heavens! Just to add the the frustration of it all, I ended up getting the wrong directions, and found myself lost inside the wrong hospital. Finally getting to where we needed to be, suprisingly only five minutes late, they immediately ushered us into the "casting room". I almost broke into tears. Nothing had even been said yet, and I knew the only reason they would put us into the casting room was...well, obvious. Apparently the room looked all too familar and Kalaya immediately began to cry. The exam was quick, but hardly painless. The doctor was so kind. I told her the whole story from the beginning, and she was happy to show me each and every x-ray and explain everything. They too believed there to be an unseen fracture, and because of some fluid buildup surrounding one of the bones, they were going to put a cast on her just to be safe. The good news is that she will only have to where it about 1-2 weeks, and then they will take it off and redo some x-rays and by then if there was any bone fracture there will be clear signs of healing visable on x-ray and they will have to re-cast the arm for a few more weeks. However if they don't see those signs of healing they will conclude it was a simple twist or sprain of her elbow. We are pleased that the doctors as being thorough, and would rather be safe than sorry. So for now, our little angel has a purple plastered wing, from palm to armpit. We will keep you updated on the news from our appointment July 3rd. Thanks for everyone's prayers on behalf of Kalaya, soon the mystery will be solved and in the mean time she seems to be back to her old self. Almost from the moment we left the hospital she began using her arm. She'll grasp things again and even give you high fives with that arm. Whatever is wrong, I whole-heartedly believe that the cast is providing the necessary relief/protection she needed in order to use it again. She's even sleeping again. So hopefully it's healing like it should and she'll be able to get the cast off soon (and keep it off - if possible). OH, HERE'S THE KICKER... The ortho people, having looked back at ALL her x-rays, believe the original doctor who saw Kalaya, may have been smoking crack, since her first x-rays looked perfect, WITH NO SIGN WHATSOEVER OF A DISLOCATED ELBOW!!!!!!!! Thanks again for all the well wishes, we'll keep you posted. Maybe I'll even post a picture of her with her cast. Things have been crazy - we'll see.
*later*...things have been crazy, but here's a quick picture of the cast.

4 comments:

The Payson Olsen's said...

wow, what a mircle... I am so sorry you had to go through all that... I know how it is when your child is hurt and you can not do anything about it... That is the hardest thing as a mother!!!!! I am so glad she does not have a dislocated elbow.... Poor little girl..... I sure hope she gets better, you guys will be in our prayers.. Hope you have a great 4th of July..... Take care!

Alleman Family said...

Candice... SO SAD!! I'm so sorry you guys had to go thru all that! I'm so glad that the cast seems to be working! Good luck with everything... keep us posted!

Dave and Julie said...

I am so sorry that it was that much trouble to find out what was the matter. take some pics of that cool cast miss ya
Julie

Anonymous said...

I love your blog header! If you have a moment, could you please email me with how to use this format? I want to publish a photo at the top of my blog too ;o)

-Esther
sweetangelplus4@yahoo.com

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online