Today Kalaya got her cast off, along with some more x-rays. Well, it turns out there was no break. The x-rays showed no signs of bone healing. So the doctor pretty much told us that it was either a severe elbow sprain, or "nursemaid's elbow" - where the tendons around the elbow get streched (painful) and sometimes make the elbow slide in and out of the joint. So even though none of the oringinal x-rays showed a dislocated elbow, doesn't mean it couldn't have slid back in on it's own (before her visit to the Urgent Care that first day), although they did admit that if that were the case she should've started using her arm within hours or at least those few days before she got her cast. So he was leaning more towards the sprain theory. So there you go. Poor thing had to where a cast for 4+ weeks (because we went on our trip), when she probably didn't need one at all.
However I'm kind of wishing that they hadn't taken it off, because they said if it was "nursemaid's elbow" any little pulling or grabbing on that arm could possibly pop her elbow back out. Yikes! I mean you know her brothers are rowdy, but Kalaya herself... well, she takes after me and is quite clumsy. I can't imagine that it won't pop out again. So in the mean time, I'm handling her like glass, I look pretty silly... Thanks for all the happy thoughts and well wishes for Kalaya. It means so much.
However I'm kind of wishing that they hadn't taken it off, because they said if it was "nursemaid's elbow" any little pulling or grabbing on that arm could possibly pop her elbow back out. Yikes! I mean you know her brothers are rowdy, but Kalaya herself... well, she takes after me and is quite clumsy. I can't imagine that it won't pop out again. So in the mean time, I'm handling her like glass, I look pretty silly... Thanks for all the happy thoughts and well wishes for Kalaya. It means so much.




2 comments:
Candice, I'm so glad you left a post - I had no idea you had a blog. Now it will be fun to keep tabs on you too! - Katie
Hey Candice, thanks for the post. It is great to hear from you. You have a beautiful family and it sounds like they keep you busy. Yeah, 3 girls for me, no surprise there ;)But we love 'em. Of course you can put our link on your blog :) I would like to put yours on mine as well. I am glad your daughter is doing ok. We haven't had any casts yet. Just plenty of scrapes and bruises. My girls take after me too... clumsy. Well, I should go and get a little sleep myself while the baby is sleeping. I will check in again later. Happy to hear from you.
-Jackie-
Post a Comment