**Click on the pictures to see enlarged images**

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

One small step for Dylan; one giant leap for Mommy

First Day of Kindergarten!

Well it has finally come. Dylan has been counting down excitededly, and me well, I've been dreading it. It's a little bitter sweet for me. Of course, on the one hand I am so thrilled and excited for Dylan to be spreading his wings and growing up. But on the other, he's my oldest and, well just ask Dwight, I STILL have a hard time leaving my kids with sitters. I don't like the separation and the unknown, the out of my control-ness of it. I hate not knowing what he's doing, if he's okay, if he's being good, etc.
He handled everything great, though. Just like he should. He's been ready for a long while now. And couldn't wait to finally enter the world of Academia. Dwight was able to give him an amazing Father's blessing last night before bed. The spirit was strong and truly testified of the Priesthood, my sweet husband carries. What a blessing it was to receive that comfort and assurance that even though Dylan will be out of my hands during those long school hours, that Heavenly Father will be watching over him and taking care of my sweet boy. Once I felt that assurance I was able to relax...well, as much as a mother can truly relax, which is never, right Moms?! But the comfort was there and made it bearable to leave my little "big" boy in the hands of strangers this morning.

Here's about a third of the big crowd of parents, and grandparents, who came this morning to drop off the new kindergarteners, with cameras in hand and bags full of the load of supplies required by each student.

Here are just a few quick photos I took before leaving my baby. Even though parents are welcome to come in on a volunteer basis to help with the class (which I fully intend on taking advantage of) I felt rushed. As I left (being the last parent left in the small classroom) I noticed all the other kindergarten classes still had loads of parents hanging around, so I kind of wished I'd stayed for a little bit longer. But I think his teacher is new (I swear she's younger than me. Probably, since I'm technically not that young anymore) and was slightly uncomfortable with me there.

I'm assuming these feelings of nervousness and loss will soon subside. And as it did the moment I returned home to my waiting family, my life will keep moving forward. I'm sure I'll even relish in these quiet (yes, I said quiet) hours without Dylan. And fully enjoy my time with Christian and Kalaya. I'm excited to see how Christian transforms with Dylan gone so much. His personality is so different from his big brother, but he tries so hard to be just like him. So it'll be fun to see the change in him :0)

I can't wait to hear all about his first day! Thank heavens it's a short day - just 1 hr 37 mins left... I know, I know, I'll get over it! Can't I have this one day to wallow?! ;0)

7 comments:

The Payson Olsen's said...

I know how you feel!!! I was the same way, Wait until they go into 1st grade and they are gone all day and they eat lunch there... That was the hardest thing ever!!!!! I cried! Wow he looks so handsome and so big. Congrats on your job what are you going to be doing? How lucky are you to be able to take your kids with you!!!!! Good luck! Miss ya!

Heather Collins said...

Yay Dylan! How exciting for you Candice! Jadyn just looked at his pics with me and totally loved seeing him. I know she wishes he was in kindergarten with her. We miss him soooo much! How grown up he looks! I totally feel the same way you do. I really am trying to get used to the idea of leaving my little one with total strangers for all day. I am slowly getting better. And Jadyn really does love it, so that makes me feel a little better about it.

Jeff/Amber/Jade said...

what a great fam and good to take a peek into your lives!. Amber and I just had our first little girl. We named her Jade Rose. It is great to finally experience the joy that a child can bring into your life. Jeff and Amber Krommenhoek

hilary w said...

Hi Candice! This is Hilary, by the way. I finally checked out your blog...it's so great! We have a blog, too, travisandhilary.blogspot.com. Do you mind if I add a link to your blog on mine?

Sarah said...

Hey, Candace, it's Sarah Weight! Thanks for answering my questions at Church on Sunday in the library, too! That was so sweet of you and so random of me...oh well... Cute blog!!! Take care!

jfarnsworth said...

Hi Candice, it was so good to hear from you, sorry it took me so long to get back to you! Your family is super cute, I can't believe you have kids that old! You and Jackie are getting old ;) I am glad we'll be able to keep up with each other through blogs, I never thought I'd be a blogger but it's worth it to see old friends!

K'Lyn said...

so how did his day go? Courtney still tries to do the head-stand in the middle of the floor like Dylan is doing on the side. She thinks that is awesome, well so do I. I looked at Hank the other day and he reminded me of Dylan when he was little. Everyone around here says he looks just like Dwight. Funny huh!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online